The Bell and Siren Club, Inc. was founded in 1949, and it is a non-profit, tax-exempt volunteer organization.
The Club provides "re-hab" services to the Newark, East Orange, South Orange and Bloomfield Fire Department at the scene of multiple alarm fires. Service includes free refreshments of cold and hot drinks, fresh fruit, hot stew, etc. all served from a mobile canteen unit, known as Emergency Field Unit 1 or “the Rig” which is owned by the Club.
Member’s dues, donations from firefighters, and fund raising efforts, finance these activities. Membership is limited to 50 active members all of whom must adhere to the Club's official Code of Operations.